WASHINGTON, DC, November 24, 2003 – The Board of Directors of the General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA) has approved Cirrus Design Corporation’s application to join the association. Cirrus will be represented on GAMA’s Board of Directors by Alan Klapmeier, the company’s co-founder, president and CEO.
Cirrus Design Corporation is a leading manufacturer of high performance single-engine aircraft. Founded in 1984 by brothers Alan and Dale Klapmeier, today the company employs over 850 workers in its facilities in Grand Forks, North Dakota, and Duluth, Minnesota. Cirrus certified its SR20 airplane in 1998 and the SR22 in 1999. More recently, Cirrus announced its newest model, the SRV, which is for the VFR only pilot. All Cirrus aircraft include a Primary Flight Display and the Cirrus Airframe Parachute System as standard equipment. To date, over 1,000 Cirrus aircraft have been delivered to customers worldwide.
In addition to his responsibilities as CEO and President of Cirrus, Alan Klapmeier serves on several industry boards, including the BE A PILOT Board of Directors and the AOPA Air Safety Foundation Board of Visitors. A licensed pilot for more than 20 years, Alan holds degrees in physics and economics from Ripon College in Wisconsin.
GAMA’s Board of Directors has also approved or reconfirmed the following individuals to leadership positions within the association:
- Clayton M. Jones, Chairman, President & CEO of Rockwell Collins, Inc., will continue as Chairman of GAMA’s Board of Directors;
- James E. Schuster, Chairman and CEO of Raytheon Aircraft Company, will continue as Vice Chairman of GAMA’s Board of Directors and Chairman of the association’s Security Issues Committee;
- John G. Rosanvallon, President and CEO of Dassault Falcon Jet Corporation, will serve as chair of the Communications Committee;
- Dean M. Flatt, President and CEO, Honeywell Aerospace Electronic Systems, will serve as chair of the Flight Operations Policy Committee;
- Lee D. Monson, President, Boeing Business Jets will serve as chair of the International Affairs Committee;
- Charles M. Suma, President and CEO, The New Piper Aircraft, Inc., will serve as chair of the Product Liability & Legal Issues Committee;
- Robert A. Barrett, President, PerkinElmer Fluid Sciences, will serve as chair of the Safety Affairs Committee;
- Peter G. Edwards, President, Bombardier Business Aircraft, will serve as chair of the Technical Policy Committee.